    SubjectRe: [slightly OT] dvdrecord 0.3.1 -- and yes, dev=/dev/cdrom works ;)
    >> > My [limited] understanding of DVD-RAM drives was that they are
    >> > basically removable block devices... you wouldn't need a recording
    >> > program for that, you'd use it like a floppy.
    >> Same goes for DVD+RW. One may want to use it in conjunction with pktcdvd
    >> for aligning and command queueing/iosched reasons.
    > Can I mount a friendly challenge to that idea?
    I win, reiserfs on a dvd+rw:

    > I had presumed that these are to give the drive
    > something big to key its read/write operations on. Nice, except I don't think
    > the media is compatible with a regular DVD drive.
    Yes. A 650 MB *CD*-RW (DVD-RW too?) formatted in packet mode only has like
    500-something megabytes to allow for the sort of seeks required.
    On DVD+RW, you get the full 4.3 GB (4.7 gB) AFAICS.

    > DVD+RW, on the other hand, I just thought was a different surface technology
    > (more expensive, higher quality) than DVD-RW. There is nothing to help with
    > the lead-in/lead-out problem that is why you have several megabytes of lead-in
    > and lead-out per session on a multi-session disc.
    > But maybe I'm wrong here... if I could use a DVD+RW like a DVD-RAM I'd be very
    > happy indeed.
    > Sam.

    Jan Engelhardt

      Last update: 2006-02-27 19:52    [W:0.020 / U:7.904 seconds]