SubjectRe: 2.4.31 hangs, no information on console or serial port
Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@kvack.org> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:24:10AM -0500, David Golombek wrote:
> > We're beginning to suspect that a hung loopback NFS mount might be to
> > blame, although we can't reproduce this trivially. Is there anyway in
> > which a mount that was behaving badly could affect the kernel in this
> > manner?
>
> Loopback NFS can deadlock in trying to free memory when writing back
> dirty pages. Use mount --bind instead.

Unfortunately, --bind is not an option for us. The custom nfs-server
is actually a protocol adapter, mapping a custom filesystem spread
across a cluster of machines into NFS. We have the loopback mount in
order to provide CIFS access via samba. Looking at
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0407.3/0297.html

it certainly does seem like we're susceptible to this failure and are
looking at memory usage at the time of the crash.

Thanks,
Dave

  Last update: 2006-02-27 18:50    [W:0.058 / U:0.060 seconds]