SubjectRe: o_sync in vfat driver
On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 14:06 +0000, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 14:50 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > > I think many people wish it was ignored on smaller devices too given
> > > what it does to write performance.
> >
> > well. If you don't want it *DO NOT USE IT AT THE MOUNT COMMAND LINE* !!!
>
> That is easy to say when you are using the command line... Modern
> distros (as you know I am sure) mount all hot-plug devices like usb
> keys, usb hard disks, etc automatically at plug-in time and at least
> some distros use "-o sync"

that is a bad misdesign of that distro or at least the tool the distro
uses for this (I don't know which it is so I can say that without
sounding partial :)

the tool that decides to use "sync", or at least the author thereof,
should be aware of what flash is, and that it has a limited lifespan etc
etc, and that you thus want maximum caching etc.

  Last update: 2006-02-27 15:29    [W:0.049 / U:0.020 seconds]