    SubjectRe: [slightly OT] dvdrecord 0.3.1 -- and yes, dev=/dev/cdrom works ;)
    Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    >>>And what about DVD-RAM drives? Any plans to support those?
    >>My [limited] understanding of DVD-RAM drives was that they are basically
    >>removable block devices... you wouldn't need a recording program for that,
    >>you'd use it like a floppy.
    > Same goes for DVD+RW. One may want to use it in conjunction with pktcdvd
    > for aligning and command queueing/iosched reasons.

    Can I mount a friendly challenge to that idea?

    The reason being, I've got a DVD writer that supports DVD-RAM, and
    because I was curious I bought one. The media is *hard sectored*. That
    is, you look at the underneath and you see a series of concentric dots,
    each the same angular distance from each other. I had presumed that
    these are to give the drive something big to key its read/write
    operations on. Nice, except I don't think the media is compatible with
    a regular DVD drive.

    DVD+RW, on the other hand, I just thought was a different surface
    technology (more expensive, higher quality) than DVD-RW. There is
    nothing to help with the lead-in/lead-out problem that is why you have
    several megabytes of lead-in and lead-out per session on a multi-session

    But maybe I'm wrong here... if I could use a DVD+RW like a DVD-RAM I'd
    be very happy indeed.

      Last update: 2006-02-27 01:02    [W:0.022 / U:23.940 seconds]