    SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc4-mm2: drivers/rtc/utils.c should become part of a generic implementation
    On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 05:46:19AM +0100, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:31:18 +0100
    > Adrian Bunk <> wrote:
    > > Always building drivers/rtc/utils.o even if no RTC support is enabled
    > > seems to be a workaround for an issue that should instead be fixed
    > > properly:
    > >
    > > The code in e.g. fs/udf/udftime.c or drivers/scsi/ips.c has some
    > > overlaps with what you are adding (they are not doing exactly the
    > > same, but there are overlaps).
    > >
    > > We should have one common set of defines/inlines/functions dealing with
    > > all these time conversion, leap year, length of months/years etc. issues
    > > instead of adding one more implementation in this area.
    > I agree. My idea was to place those routines in utils.o and then
    > modify callers, like udftime.c and ips.c to use them. What is currently
    > in utils.c has been gathered from files that were known to me,
    > lice rtctime.c in the arm arch and some rtc drivers. Once deployed,
    > it will be easier to find and convert similar routines.y

    Sounds good, but for generic functions, two adjustments are required:
    - move the code to lib/
    - remove rtc_ prefixes from the functions

    > Best regards,
    > Alessandro Zummo,

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2006-02-25 14:12    [W:0.022 / U:4.092 seconds]