    SubjectRe: Status of X86_P4_CLOCKMOD?
    On Fri, Feb 24, 2006, Dave Jones wrote:
    > On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 02:57:22AM +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
    > > >
    > > > It's sometimes useful in cases where the target CPU doesn't have any better
    > > > option (Speedstep/Powernow). The big misconception is that it
    > > > somehow saves power & increases battery life. Not so.
    > > > All it does is 'not do work so often'. The upside of this is
    > > > that in some situations, we generate less heat this way.
    > >
    > > Doesn't less heat imply less power consumption?
    >
    > Not really. The only energy you're saving is that your CPU fan
    > will turn slightly slower, which is probably going to be < 1W
    > of difference.

    I thought the fan turns slower because the CPU generates
    less heat, which in turn is because it consumes less
    electrical energy.

    If someone has done measurements I'd be interested to
    know the numbers about the actual power savings which
    can be achieved by using P4 clock mod. I don't expect
    it to be much, but I bet it's more than 1W.

    Johannes

      Last update: 2006-02-25 13:56    [W:2.752 / U:0.020 seconds]