SubjectRe: [Announce] Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Date
Am Samstag 25 Februar 2006 11:53 schrieb Christoph Hellwig:

From a short glance over the driver code, the protocol between the _open
source_ driver and the binary user space daemon seems to be quite defined and
unobfuscated. Obviously, someone owning the device has to verify that the
daemon doesn't tamper the hardware beyond the driver's back.

> We have support for other software radios.

There is a difference. As kernel developers, we can put the responsibility to
verify that a device can be operated legally on the user, as you said. A
manufacturer, especially a huge one as Intel, is obligated to take this
burden from their customers - obligated may be by law, may be by company
policy.

> If intel doesn't do the right
> thing support for their hardware will have to wait until someone has
> reverse-engineered their daemon [1].

If someone else reverse engineers and replaces the daemon, it may not be
Intel's problem anymore - but that's all not the point.

Actually, Intel invested a lot of time to avoid shipping a binary only driver
or a HAL like madwifi does. So however this settles, they deserve at least to
be adressed in a less insulting tone than you do in your mails.

Thanks,

Stefan

  Last update: 2006-02-25 13:30    [W:1.846 / U:0.028 seconds]