    SubjectRe: creating live virtual files by concatenation
    On 2/25/06, Maciej Soltysiak <solt2@dns.toxicfilms.tv> wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I have this idea about creating sort of a virtual file.
    >
    > Let us say I have three text files that contain javascript code:
    > tooltip.js
    > banner.js
    > foo.js
    >
    > Now let us say I am creating sort of a virtual text file (code.js)
    > that is a live-concatenation of these files:
    > # concatenate tooltip.js banner.js foo.js code.js
    >
    > Note I am not talking about the cat(1) utility. I am thinking of
    > code.js be always a live concatenated version of these three, so when
    > I modify one file, the live-version is also modified.
    >
    > What puprose I might have? Network-related. Say, I have an HTML file
    > that includes these three files in its code.
    >
    > When a browser downloads the HTML file it will then create three threads
    > to download each of those javascript files.
    >
    > If I had a live-concatenated file, I could reference it in the HTML file
    > so that the browser does not have to download three files but just one.

    If that's what you want to accomplish, then you can easily get around
    that in several ways.

    1. Simply $ cat tooltip.js banner.js foo.js > code.js then include
    code.js in your html document and remember to update it when you
    change one of the 3 files (or create a script that does it.

    2. use Apache's mod_include

    3. Use PHP, Perl, python or watever your scripting language of choice
    is - here's an example in PHP :

    <?php
    header('Content-type: text/javascript');
    readfile('tooltip.js');
    readfile('banner.js');
    readfile('foo.js');
    ?>

    save that as javascripts.php then put this in your HTML document :

    <script src="javascripts.php" language="javascript"
    type="text/javascript"></script>

    And there are other ways ...

    > This would surely reduce network overhead of downloading the same amount
    > of data but within just one connection, reduce resource usage on the client
    > and possibly (depending on implementation) reduce the cost of accessing
    > three individual files on the server.

    Negligible I'd say.

    > I am CC'ing reiserfs-list because Reiser4 would seem to be the most
    > robust filesystem that could have it done.
    >
    > Any thoughts about the idea itself?

    Might be a cute little hack, but I don't think it's a very useful
    feature really..

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>