    SubjectRe: [patch 2.6.16-rc4-mm1] Task Throttling V14
    On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 12:16 +1100, Peter Williams wrote:
    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > MIke Galbraith <efault@gmx.de> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Not many comments came back, zero actually.
    > >>

    > > That's because everyone's terribly busy chasing down those final bugs so we
    > > get a really great 2.6.16 release (heh, I kill me).
    > >
    > > I'm a bit reluctant to add changes like this until we get the smpnice stuff
    > > settled down and validated. I guess that means once Ken's run all his
    > > performance tests across it.
    > >
    > > Of course, if Ken does his testing with just mainline+smpnice then any
    > > coupling becomes less of a problem. But I would like to see some feedback
    > > from the other sched developers first.
    >
    > Personally, I'd rather see PlugSched merged in and this patch be used to
    > create a new scheduler inside PlugSched. But I'm biased :-)
    >
    > As I see it, the problem that this patch is addressing is caused by the
    > fact that the current scheduler is overly complicated. This patch just
    > makes it more complicated.

    What's complicated about the scheduler? I see simple/elegant when I
    look in there. Interaction with the user is complex, but interactive
    feel is a nebulous thing not restricted to this scheduler.

    I really don't think this patch adds complexity, quite the opposite
    actually. It just does a small bit of tweaking to the scheduler's weak
    spot, and adds a dirt simple barrier against starvation. IMO, this
    scheduler is not only quite simple, it's one weakness is generally
    wonderful for throughput. It's just that it's sometimes a bit _too_
    wonderful ;-)

    -Mike

      Last update: 2006-02-25 03:18    [W:0.021 / U:30.512 seconds]