    SubjectRe: [patch 2.6.16-rc4-mm1] Task Throttling V14
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    > MIke Galbraith <efault@gmx.de> wrote:
    >
    >>Not many comments came back, zero actually.
    >>

    > That's because everyone's terribly busy chasing down those final bugs so we
    > get a really great 2.6.16 release (heh, I kill me).
    >
    > I'm a bit reluctant to add changes like this until we get the smpnice stuff
    > settled down and validated. I guess that means once Ken's run all his
    > performance tests across it.
    >
    > Of course, if Ken does his testing with just mainline+smpnice then any
    > coupling becomes less of a problem. But I would like to see some feedback
    > from the other sched developers first.

    Personally, I'd rather see PlugSched merged in and this patch be used to
    create a new scheduler inside PlugSched. But I'm biased :-)

    As I see it, the problem that this patch is addressing is caused by the
    fact that the current scheduler is overly complicated. This patch just
    makes it more complicated. Some of the schedulers in PlugSched already
    handle this problem adequately and some of them are simpler than the
    current scheduler -- the intersection of these two sets is not empty.

    So now that it's been acknowledged that the current scheduler has
    problems, I think that we should be looking at other solutions in
    addition to just making the current one more complicated.

    Peter
    PS I agree this should wait until the current scheduler changes in -mm
    have had a chance to settle down and/or migrate to the vanilla kernel.
    --
    Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au

    -- Ambrose Bierce