    Subject[Announce] Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Intel is pleased to announce the launch of an open source project to
    support the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection mini-PCI
    express adapter (IPW3945).

    The project is hosted at A development
    mailing list is available (linked from the top of the IPW3945 project
    page.) You can find the current development release for the adapter by
    following the links on the project home page.

    A stable [end user targetted] version is not yet available. Those
    interested in using the development version should review
    the notice linked to from the project page. A stable version should
    be available in the next few weeks.

    Aside from a form factor change (our prior wireless cards were mini PCI
    while this one is mini PCI express), this project has also changed the
    division of work between what occurs on the adapter and what the host is
    responsible for performing. The microcode and hardware provide lower
    level MAC services (timings, backoffs, transmit queue management, etc.)
    The host is responsible for middle and upper layer MAC services.

    As a result of this change, some of the capabilities currently required
    to be provided on the host include enforcement of regulatory limits for
    the radio transmitter (radio calibration, transmit power, valid
    channels, 802.11h, etc.) In order to meet the requirements of all
    geographies into which our adapters ship (over 100 countries) we have
    placed the regulatory enforcement logic into a user space daemon that
    we provide as a binary under the same license agreement as the
    microcode. We provide that binary pre-compiled as both a 32-bit and
    64-bit application. The daemon utilizes a sysfs interface exposed by
    the driver in order to communicate with the hardware and configure the
    required regulatory parameters.

    Those familiar with our prior projects may be pleased with the changes
    we have made with the license agreement for binary portions of this new
    project. We were able to provide a more easily understood agreement
    for the binary components required for the adapter to function. While
    this new license still restricts against reverse engineering and
    modification, it has been changed to allow easier redistribution. You
    can find the terms of the agreement accessible from the microcode
    and daemon download page linked to from the project site.

    The current development snapshot contains backward compatibility code
    to allow the driver to work in older kernels. We will be removing
    that code prior to submitting the driver for inclusion in the kernel.

      Last update: 2006-02-24 23:32    [W:0.021 / U:0.088 seconds]