    SubjectRe: Areca RAID driver remaining items?
    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

    > On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:59:50AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > On Iau, 2006-02-23 at 17:50 +0800, erich wrote:
    > > > But unfortunately I found some mainboards will hang up if I always enable
    > > > this function in my lab.
    > > > To avoid this issue, I do an option for this case.
    > > >
    > > > But Christoph Hellwig give me comment with it.
    > >

    > > Another thing you can also do for many of these cases is to use either
    > > the PCI or DMI interfaces to identify the problem board and
    > > automatically set the option as well.
    > >
    > > There are two ways to do this. One is
    >
    > Please avoid that unless really nessecary. I doubt there's boards where
    > MSI would only be broken with the areca card but not with other MSI-capable
    > ones. If a board or chipset is generally broken vs MSI it should be
    > added to the global MSI blacklist. It's probably be nice to have a global
    > nomsi boot option instead of one in every driver aswell..

    Jeff G. added an "msi" option to the sata_mv driver recently.
    But yes, I expect it to be more of a platform issue than a
    driver issue.

    s2io network people report MSI interrupt problems on various
    platforms (on netdev mailing list).

    There are other reports (that I have at home, not visible to me
    now). It would be good to have an MSI expert around.

    http://www.xenotime.net/linux/patches/pci_nomsi.patch adds a
    global boot option to disable MSI interrupt assignments.

    --
    ~Randy