SubjectRe: Looking for a file monitor
Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:06:27 -0600,
> Hareesh Nagarajan <> escribió:
>> dnotify has been succeeded by inotify. check the link below:
> IIRC, inotify is not the best thing for examining system-wide events.
> Monitoring of directories is not recursive (neither it should, i think)
> so to examine the whole system you would need to need thousands of
> watches.

But if we want to keep a track of all the files that are opened, read,
written or deleted (much like filemon; ``Filemon's timestamping feature
will show you precisely when every open, read, write or delete, happens,
and its status column tells you the outcome."), we can write a simple
patch that makes a note of these events on the VFS layer, and then we
could export this information to userspace, via relayfs. It wouldn't be
too hard to code a relatively efficient implementation.