    SubjectRe: Looking for a file monitor
    Diego Calleja wrote:
    > El Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:06:27 -0600,
    > Hareesh Nagarajan <hnagar2@gmail.com> escribió:
    >

    >> dnotify has been succeeded by inotify. check the link below:
    >> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/inotify/README
    >
    > IIRC, inotify is not the best thing for examining system-wide events.
    > Monitoring of directories is not recursive (neither it should, i think)
    > so to examine the whole system you would need to need thousands of
    > watches.

    Surely.

    But if we want to keep a track of all the files that are opened, read,
    written or deleted (much like filemon; ``Filemon's timestamping feature
    will show you precisely when every open, read, write or delete, happens,
    and its status column tells you the outcome."), we can write a simple
    patch that makes a note of these events on the VFS layer, and then we
    could export this information to userspace, via relayfs. It wouldn't be
    too hard to code a relatively efficient implementation.

    Hareesh

      Last update: 2006-02-24 18:04    [W:0.028 / U:64.344 seconds]