SubjectRe: [Devel] Re: Which of the virtualization approaches is more suitable for kernel?
Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>>Back to the topic. If you (or somebody else) wants to see the real size of
>>things, take a look at broken-out patch set, available from
>>http://download.openvz.org/kernel/broken-out/. Here (2.6.15-025stab014.1 kernel)
>>we see that it all boils down to:
>

> Thanks. This is the first indication I have seen that you even have broken-out
> patches.

When Kirill Korovaev announced OpenVZ patch set on LKML (two times --
initially and for 2.6.15), he gave the links to the broken-out patch
set, both times.

> Why those aren't in your source rpms is beyond me.

That reflects our internal organization: we have a core virtualization
team which comes up with a core patch (combining all the stuff), and a
maintenance team which can add some extra patches (driver updates, some
bugfixes). So that extra patches comes up as a separate patches in
src.rpms, while virtualization stuff comes up as a single patch. That
way it is easier for our maintainters group.

Sure we understand this is not convenient for developers who want to
look at our code -- and thus we provide broken-out kernel patch sets
from time to time (not for every release, as it requires some effort
from Kirill, who is really buzy anyway). So, if you want this for a
specific kernel -- just ask.

I understand that this might look strange, but again, this reflects our
internal development structure.

> Everything
> seems to have been posted in a 2-3 day window at the end of January and the
> beginning of February. Is this something you are now providing?

Again, yes, occasionally from time to time, or upon request.

> Shakes head. You have a patch in broken-out that is 817K. Do you really
> maintain it this way as one giant patch?

In that version I took (025stab014) it was indeed as one big patch, and
I believe Kirill maintains it that way.

Previous kernel version (025stab012) was more fine-grained, take a look
at http://download.openvz.org/kernel/broken-out/2.6.15-025stab012.1

> Please let's not get side tracked playing whose patch is bigger.

Absolutely agree!

Regards,
Kir Kolyshkin, OpenVZ team.

  Last update: 2006-02-23 13:06    [W:0.151 / U:0.012 seconds]