SubjectRe: [OT] portable Makefiles (was: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest))
On Thursday 23 February 2006 11:56, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "D. Hazelton" <> wrote:
> > > Smake helps to find non-portable code, this is something completely
> > > different!
> >
> > Umm - Joerg, you just stepped on your own toes there. A makefile
> > validator does exactly that - helps people find non-portable code. You're
> > fighting a losing battle when you claim one thing then say something that
> > proves it false.
> Wrong: a CD box with Suse or Redhat Linux may act as a door stop.
> Does this make it a doorstop?

If you decide to use it as such, yes. I have actually done such in the past,
since I needed to find some use for the box once the media was removed.

And anyway, you did state, as pointed out by someone else, that "smake may be
used as a Makefile validator" Since you advertise such a fact - that it works
as a Makefile validator - does that not make it such?

I realize you'll just deny it and don't know why I bother even looking in the
folder your mails get sorted into. Maybe I just have a masochistic streak...