    SubjectNFS Still broken in 2.6.x?
    Hi All.  I'm running into a bit of trouble with NFS on 2.6.  I see that
    at least Trond thought, mid-January, that "The readahead algorithm has
    been broken in 2.6.x for at least the past 6 months." ( Anyone
    know if that has been fixed?

    Basically, the problem I'm having is that downloads from an NFS server
    using kernel 2.6 are no more than half as fast as the same from a
    server using kernel 2.4. Write speed (uploading) seems to be about the
    same, but reading is slow.

    I'm using tcp as my protocol, at the suggestion of many posts, but
    flipping over to udp doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm using
    version 3, although I did switch to 2 just to check (it's no better,
    usually slower). My read size is 32768 and my write size is 8192.
    Decreasing the read size only slows down the transfers. Increasing
    write size has no effect.

    As for hardware, both machines are dual AMD Opterons, 100Mbps ethernet,
    and the NFS is serving space on a RAID array. The 2.4 (2.4.21 to be
    exact) kernel is running under SuSE 9.0, and the 2.6 (2.6.15 to be
    exact) kernel is running under SuSE 10.0. I saw the same speed drop
    when attempting to upgrade to SuSE 9.3. I stayed with 9.0 in hopes
    that the problem would be fixed in the future.

    Anyone have any ideas?

      Last update: 2006-02-23 21:37    [W:0.025 / U:2.080 seconds]