SubjectRe: question about possibility of data loss in Ext2/3 file system
Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>>Also, the scheme you mentioned is just for new file creation. What
>>will happen if I want to update an existing file? Say, I open file A,
>>seek to offset 5000, write 4096 bytes, and then close. Do you know how
>>ext2/3 handle this situation?
> If you have a power failure right after the close, the data could be
> lost. This is true for pretty much all Unix filesystems, for
> performance reasons. If you care about the data hitting disk, the
> application must use fsync().

I always liked Sun's approach to this in Online Disk Suite - journal at
the block device level rather than the FS / application level.
Something I haven't seen from the Linux md-utils or DM.

Sam.

  Last update: 2006-02-23 20:49    [W:0.087 / U:0.192 seconds]