SubjectRe: blktrace daemon vs LTTng lttd
* Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de) wrote:
> blktrace currently uses read() to mmap'ed file buffers for local
> storage, not read+write.

I see that blktrace uses fwrite() in write_data(). Isn't it a disk write
scheme where you read() from the RelayFS channel and (f)write() to a file ? Oh,
but the mmaped file is the output.. I see. However, you have to mmap/unmap the
output file between each subbuffer, which costs you time.

> We could mmap both ends of course and just copy
> the data, I'm not sure it would buy me a lot though. For local storage,
> blktraces biggest worry is peturbing the vm/io side of things so we skew
> the results of what we are tracing. That is usually more important than
> using that extra 0.1% of cpu cycles, as most io tests are not CPU bound.
> The sendfile() support should work now, so the preferred approach now
> becomes using blktrace in net client mode and sendfile() the data out
> without it ever being copied either in-kernel or to-user.

As I said earlier, using sendfile() or mmap+send() should lead to a similar
result.

> That said, the "complexity" of controlling produced/consumed numbers is
> what has kept me away from doing mmap() of the relayfs buffers for
> local storage.

Yes, it has been my reaction too.

> With an easier control mechanism in place, I might be
> convinced to switch blktrace as well.

Well, if you want to try the current lttd disk dumper, it's quite simple : you
fork from blktrace, exec lttd with 2-3 parameters and it will simply open
recursively a directory structure, create the exact same trace directory
structure as output, mmap each buffer and wait for data. It quits when the last
buffer has hung up.

Once adapted to a network send(), I don't see any limitation in it's genericity.

> > On another point, I looked at your timekeeping in blktrace and I think
> > you could gain precision by using a monotonic clock instead of
> > do_gettimeofday (which is altered by NTP).
>
> I don't use gettimeofday() for time keeping, unless sched_clock() winds
> up using that for some cases. Haven't looked much into that yet, but on
> some systems the granularity of sched_clock() is jiffies which doesn't
> work very well for us of course.
>
> What does LTT use in the kernel?

I looked closely at the time keeping in the Kernel, and found out that
cycles_2_ns was using a precomputed variable which was not precise enough for my
needs, as it is computed with integers.

So I has two mode, one with and one without TSC. The simplest one is the TSC
mode, where I get the TSC of the CPUs. I also log the cpu_khz variable at the
beginning of the trace, so I can calculate the time myself from the tsc, but I
do it later, in double precision with the analyser.

In non TSC case, I use the jiffies counter or'd with a logical clock.

Mathieu

> --
> Jens Axboe

OpenPGP public key: http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint: 8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68