SubjectRe: Which is simpler? (Was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: [ 00/10] [Suspend2] Modules support.)
Date
Hi,

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 23:41, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> > > Fully agree. That's why I've sought to keep the copying in c - it makes
> > > it simpler to read and maintain (although at the expense of a little bit
> > > of ugliness with that if in the stack page allocation
> >
> > Well, that's a bit too much ugliness for me, sorry.
> >
> > > or (old way) working hard to make the C not use stack).
> >
> > I'd rather not get rid of the assembly parts. Instead, I'd modify them to
> > handle bitmaps. I'm not going to drop them.
>
> Well, if you do this, and I can, I will start using the code too. I don't know
> x86/x86_64/ppc/... assembly enough that I could help, but I would be willing
> to drop the current code if yours was usable. Come to that, (as I already
> said), I'm willing to work on switching to pbes prior to that and seeing if
> we can share that code earlier, if you want me to and I can find the time.

Yes, it would be nice if we could share some code earlier. However I think
the freezer is a better target short-term. If you could have a look at the
-mm freezer and tell us what you'd like to add to that, we'd probably be able
to get closer in that area.

> > > If you use the 'dynamically allocated pageflags' code (sure, pick a
> > > better name if you want), these changes will be pretty trivial - you can
> > > #define macros that could make the transition just a matter of switching
> > > PageNosave (eg) to PageSomethingElse. (Ditto for setting and clearing
> > > flags).
> >
> > I think it could be done without that code and I'd prefer to do so. In
> > fact, we only need to remember:
> > (a) saveable pages
> > (b) pages used to store the data from (a)
> > (c) pages allocated by us that we should release eventually
> > (generally that may be a broader set than just (b)).
> > That's 3 bitmaps total and no need for using any more sophisticated stuff,
> > if I remember everything correctly.
>
> Maybe I have tunnel vision, but I'd be surprised if you didn't end up with
> something similar - I've tried to make it as simple as possible, and am
> basically doing the same thing (even if I'm using different terms for some of
> the concepts). I'd certainly be willing to interact on "Why did you do it
> this way?" questions and make changes if a better way is shown to me.

OK

Greetings,
Rafael

  Last update: 2006-02-23 00:48    [W:0.267 / U:0.312 seconds]