SubjectRe: RFC: Block reservation for hugetlbfs
David Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:38:42AM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>>David Gibson wrote:

>>>Urg.. good point. I hadn't even thought of that consequence - I was
>>>more worried about whether I need i_lock or i_mutex to protect my
>>>updates to i_blocks.
>>>
>>>Would hugetlb_lock -> tree_lock(r) be any preferable (I think that's a
>>>possible alternative).
>>>

>>Yes I think that should avoid the introduction of new lock dependency.
>

> Err... "Yes" appears to contradict the rest of you statement, since my
> suggestion would still introduce a lock dependency, just a different
> one one. It is not at all obvious to me how to avoid a lock
> dependency entirely.

I mean a new core mm lock depenency (ie. lru_lock -> tree_lock).

But I must have been smoking something last night: for the life
of me I can't see why I thought there was already a hugetlb_lock
-> lru_lock dependency in there...?!

So I retract my statement. What you have there seems OK.

> Also, any thoughts on whether I need i_lock or i_mutex or something
> else would be handy..

I'm not much of an fs guy. How come you don't use i_size?

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.