    SubjectRE: IA64 non-contiguous memory space bugs
    Date
    David Gibson wrote on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:14 PM
    > Second problem is in the hugepage logic in free_pgtables()
    > (mm/memory.c). As far as I can tell it's complete crap, and only
    > works by accident, for different accidental reasons on ppc64 and ia64,
    > the only archs that have a non-trivial is_hugepage_only_range().
    > Except that I'm not sure it does entirely work by accident on ia64:
    > suppose a process has a hugepage mapping that begins some way after
    > the beginning of the hugepage address range. Before
    > hugetlb_free_pgd_range() gets called on that area, it will be called
    > on the next normal page VMA down - but with an end address at the
    > beginning of the hugepage VMA and so extending into the hugepage
    > address range. I don't really understand the ia64 pagetable mapping
    > stuff well enough to tell if that's dangerous or not.

    I don't see any problem in the ia64 code. The start and end address is
    what the vma specified. Floor and ceiling is just a hint for free_pgtables()
    to free any left over page tables between vma holes (to prev and next).
    As far as I can tell, the code looks fine.

    - Ken

      Last update: 2006-02-22 02:34    [W:0.026 / U:186.840 seconds]