SubjectRe: Intel CSA Gigabit Bug in IC7-G Motherboards- Affects Windows/Linux
> Have you tried running without NAPI? (disable it in your config in the
> e1000 section)

I have always used NAPI, I will test this later today and let you know the
results with NAPI off, thanks.

Is there anything I need to be aware of using a CSA-based ethernet device
vs. no CSA?

Thanks,

Justin.

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Jesse Brandeburg wrote:

> On 2/19/06, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com> wrote:
>> Essentially, when you copy large amounts of data across the NIC it will
>> "freeze" the box in Linux (any 2.6.x kernel, have not tried 2.4.x) or
>> Windows XP SP2.
>
> I've heard isolated reports about issues with the CSA connected NIC,
> but we've not been able to reproduce much in our labs and (mostly)
> people haven't been complaining about it.
>
>> If you checkout the thread, it occurs for multiple people under various
>> OS' but in *some* cases if they use ABIT's IC7-G CSA/INTEL driver, they
>> their problems go away.
>
>> In Linux when I used to use the onboard NIC, it froze the box, I did not
>> have sysrq enabled at the time when this happened but frozen I mean screen
>> is frozen, no ping, box is inoperative.
>
> Have you tried running without NAPI? (disable it in your config in the
> e1000 section)
>
>> Nothing pecuilar was ever found in any of the logs or dmesg output
>> regarding the crash.
>>
>> Basically its the first revision of CSA gigabit on a motherboard from what
>> I read in the forums and unless you use ABIT's specially crafted driver,
>> it will crash the machine when you copy either:
>>
>> a) large amounts of data over a gigabit link
>> or
>> b) that death.zip file (unzipped of course) which contains the bad "bits"
>> that are probably seen/repeated when copying large amounts of data
>
> I'll have our lab attempt to reproduce the bug (again) this time using
> the special file. I can't speak to the windows crash, sorry.
>
> please send your .config, cat /proc/interrupts, dmesg after driver is
> up, whether NAPI is on, what exact steps you use to reproduce the
> problem, what your environment is (i.e. copying to a windows server,
> etc) pretty much follow the instructions in
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/reporting-bugs.html
>
> Jesse

  Last update: 2006-02-20 11:30    [W:0.422 / U:0.020 seconds]