Joerg, I've been thinking about your report about Linux munging CDB's sent to
certian ATAPI devices. While reading the MMC-5 spec again today (my memory of
it was starting to fail and I felt I had best be on top of it in this
discussion) a statement made about sending SCSI commands to ATAPI devices
caught me.

ATAPI command packets are fixed at a 12 byte size. Is it possible you tried to
send a CDB in excess of that fixed size re: those drives that get a munged

Just a thought...