    SubjectRe: kernel panic with unloadable module support... SMP
    On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 13:51 -0800, Ben Ford wrote:

    > George P Nychis wrote:
    > > Okay, I downloaded the 2.6.16-r4 kernel and left it unmodified and I do
    > not get the panic.
    > >
    > > Can you suggest anything for me so that I can find what is causing the
    > panic with the gentoo vanilla sources?
    >
    > Gentoo doesn't understand the concept of "vanilla" packages. Make a
    > practice of downloading your kernel directly from kernel.org and
    > building it yourself.

    Uhm, last time I checked, sys-kernel/vanilla-sources was just that -
    vanilla kernel.org sources handled by the package manager.

    If you check what is in portage currently, there are no 2.6.15-rc or
    even _any_ version that have a -rX, so he either used the
    gentoo-sources, or he used 2.6.15.1 which had a bug that was fixed in
    2.6.16-rc4 (assuming, as there are no 2.6.16-r4 on kernel.org). No way
    to know if he don't specify the correct version, or try the same version
    directly from kernel.org (which would probably give the same results if
    he really did use vanilla-sources).

    > Out of 10+ boxes that I've run on Gentoo, only one has worked using
    > the Gentoo kernel.

    Maybe, but did you file a bug ? No reason for random ranting if you had
    issues with their patched kernel. I can name many other distribution
    kernels, and some kernel.org ones that had issues, but then it usually
    was my own fault if it stayed an issue.

    --
    Martin Schlemmer

      Last update: 2006-02-20 22:54    [W:0.024 / U:29.748 seconds]