    > George P Nychis wrote:
    > > Okay, I downloaded the 2.6.16-r4 kernel and left it unmodified and I do
    > not get the panic.
    > >
    > > Can you suggest anything for me so that I can find what is causing the
    > panic with the gentoo vanilla sources?
    > Gentoo doesn't understand the concept of "vanilla" packages. Make a
    > practice of downloading your kernel directly from and
    > building it yourself.

    Uhm, last time I checked, sys-kernel/vanilla-sources was just that -
    vanilla sources handled by the package manager.

    If you check what is in portage currently, there are no 2.6.15-rc or
    even _any_ version that have a -rX, so he either used the
    gentoo-sources, or he used which had a bug that was fixed in
    2.6.16-rc4 (assuming, as there are no 2.6.16-r4 on No way
    to know if he don't specify the correct version, or try the same version
    directly from (which would probably give the same results if
    he really did use vanilla-sources).

    > Out of 10+ boxes that I've run on Gentoo, only one has worked using
    > the Gentoo kernel.

    Maybe, but did you file a bug ? No reason for random ranting if you had
    issues with their patched kernel. I can name many other distribution
    kernels, and some ones that had issues, but then it usually
    was my own fault if it stayed an issue.

    Martin Schlemmer

      Last update: 2006-02-20 22:54    [W:0.021 / U:13.592 seconds]