    SubjectRe: i386 AT keyboard LED question.
    On Monday 20 February 2006 20:24, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
    > On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 08:03:26PM +0000, Nick Warne wrote:
    > > Hi Vojtech,
    > >
    > > I wondered why numlock LED goes off during boot process, even though I
    > > ask BIOS to turn on;

    > Some old notebooks forget them on, which makes the keyboard unusable -
    > you get '4' instead of 'u', etc.

    Understand. I never thought of that!

    > We can't read the LED state anyway (except for going to the BIOS data
    > structures, which isn't reasonable from the atkbd driver), and we need
    > to initialize it, so off is the safer default.
    > Further, this has been the behavior of Linux since it was first
    > implemented, and thus, in my rewrite of the keyboard handling, I didn't
    > change it.

    Thanks for detailed reply - I see now, and didn't know any of this.

    > It's trivial to change the default lock state in init scripts / xdm
    > config / X config, too.

    I boot into init 3, so as I don't reboot much, I always forget to turn numlock
    back on when logging in [failed] - hence the question.

    I will look at a local fix rather than a patch for kernel.

    Thanks again,

    "Person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt person doing it."
    -Chinese Proverb

      Last update: 2006-02-20 21:54    [W:0.021 / U:7.844 seconds]