SubjectRe: + daemonize-detach-from-current-namespace.patch added to -mm tree
Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> writes:

> ebiederm@xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman) wrote:
>>
>> I am beginning to suspect that we will want to fix kernel_thread so it
>> creates copies of the init_task rather than copies of whatever random
>> user space process we happen to be a member of at the time. With an
>> enhanced kernel_thread this problem could more easily avoided, as
>> we add additional namespaces to the kernel.
>
> You wouldn't believe the problems we had with kernel_thread followed by
> call_usermodehelper() due to inheritance of random stuff from the userspace
> parent.
>
> A suitable solution is to stop using kernel_thread(), migrate to the
> kthread API - that way the threads are parented by keventd which is a known
> and good environment.

Thanks. This sounds worth investigating.

On the other hand call_usermodehelper is the one case where we might
want to share some of the attributes with an existing process, at
least if we ever want it to run in a non-default namespace.

Eric

  Last update: 2006-02-20 19:15    [W:0.051 / U:0.116 seconds]