SubjectRe: No sound from SB live!
Hi!

> > Ouch and that device should be still listed in devices.txt, no?
>
> The minor numbers can be assigned dyanmically if
> CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS is set, so it may be even confusing to list
> up there as if static only.

Well, you should list them there, so they are properly allocated to
you... Or just list the numbers for !SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS case, and add
a warning.

> > root@hobit:/dev/snd# aplay
> > /usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages/etc/sounds/hammer.wav
> > Playing WAVE
> > '/usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages/etc/sounds/hammer.wav' : Unsigned
> > 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
> > root@hobit:/dev/snd#
> >
> > Actually, in a quiet room I think I can hear *something*. Too faint to
> > recognize :-(.
>
> If you hear something, it's definitely a mixer configuration problem,
> maybe screwed up by some reason. In such a case, it's easier to
> re-initialize from the scratch:

It may me EMI or something like that. I can hear something but it is
so faint I'm not sure if I'm not hearing power drawn from CPU.

> Unload the module first, then remove /etc/asound.state (or whatever
> the distro uses) to prevent the automatic "alsactl restore".
> Reload the module, then unmute/adjust the volume "PCM" and "Master".
> The other volumes should have been initialized to be audible.

I do not think I have alsactl restore anywhere in the bootup
scripts. I'll play with that, and I'll also try OSS driver to see if
hardware still works properly.
Pavel
--
Web maintainer for suspend.sf.net (www.sf.net/projects/suspend) wanted...