Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@linux01.gwdg.de> wrote:

> Which unfortunately leads us back to one of the early questions.
>
> If ATAPI is some sort of SCSI [command set] over ATA, and ide-cd can be used
> without the "Big Bad" SCSI layer (CONFIG_SCSI), don't we have redundant code
> floating around?

CONFIG_SCSI???

Why not using fully dynamical loadable kernel modules as done with Solaris
since 1992? Since that time nobody cares because what you need is auto-loaded
on demand and there is absolutely no need for a manual configuration.

BTW: Introducing an orthogonal SCSI based implementation would save a lot of
code. The model currently used on Linux is duplicating a lot of unneeded code
in target drivers and the SCSI glue code is only a few KB (less than 30k on
Solaris).

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)