    Jan Engelhardt <> wrote:

    > Which unfortunately leads us back to one of the early questions.
    > If ATAPI is some sort of SCSI [command set] over ATA, and ide-cd can be used
    > without the "Big Bad" SCSI layer (CONFIG_SCSI), don't we have redundant code
    > floating around?

    Why not using fully dynamical loadable kernel modules as done with Solaris
    since 1992? Since that time nobody cares because what you need is auto-loaded
    on demand and there is absolutely no need for a manual configuration.

    BTW: Introducing an orthogonal SCSI based implementation would save a lot of
    code. The model currently used on Linux is duplicating a lot of unneeded code
    in target drivers and the SCSI glue code is only a few KB (less than 30k on

    -- (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin (uni) (work) Blog:

      Last update: 2006-02-02 10:53    [W:0.022 / U:1.780 seconds]