    SubjectRe: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > The GPL already requires source code (ie non-protected content). So the
    > GPL already _does_ have an anti-DRM clause as far as the _software_ is
    > concerned. If you want to fight DRM on non-software fronts, you need to
    > create non-software content, and fight it _there_.

    The point is not only getting access to the source code, but also being
    able to change it. Being able to freely study the code is only half of
    the beauty of the GPL. The other half, being able to change it, can be
    very effectively stopped using DRM.

    I agree with your position that the GPL should not be used to prevent
    implementing a DRM system, but I like the fact that it's trying to
    prevent DRM:ing the code itself (e.g. requiring signed binaries to run).

    The effect would probably be that no one can implement a DRM system that
    isn't easily broken, but that only demonstrates how flawed the idea of
    DRM is.

      Last update: 2006-02-02 09:45    [W:0.020 / U:15.184 seconds]