    SubjectRe: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders
    Lennart Sorensen wrote:
    > On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 06:54:47PM +0100, Pierre Ossman wrote:
    >
    >> Then I have to ask, why GPL and not a BSD license? GPL is after all,
    >> forcing our beliefs onto anyone who wishes to benefit from our work.
    >>

    > The GPL enforced the view on free software, the BSD license does not.
    > The BSD license lets you do whatever you want pretty much.

    I am aware of the difference between GPL and BSD. My point was that if
    Linus feels that we should not enforce our rules on others then why does
    he prefer a license that does just that? If people will come around just
    by seeing how well the community works then BSD should be sufficient, or
    even public domain.

    I don't share this view, which is why I like the DRM ideas in GPLv3
    which close something I see as a loophole in GPLv2.

    Rgds
    Pierre

      Last update: 2006-02-02 19:29    [W:4.118 / U:0.832 seconds]