    On Saturday 18 February 2006 08:47, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > >Martin Mares <> wrote:
    > >>Hello!

    > >>I bet that it would take less time to implement this support than what
    > >>you spend here by arguing and trying to prove you are the only sane
    > >>person in the world. Unsuccessfully, of course.
    > >
    > >If memory serves me correctly, the current model is the 3rd incompatible
    > > one offerend within less than 5 years.
    > With that I agree. Not only does the interface change, the details
    > within a given interface must change.

    At this point I seem to have stumbled across a document that has what Joerg
    might be looking for Linux to introduce. It's available at and is a
    translation layer specification for OS's to use if they want to access ATA
    devices like SCSI ones.

    Seems to me this wouldn't be a good or bad thing to add to the kernel. The
    problem is that introducing the layer and thereby unifying the SCSI and ATA
    busses into one namespace is a big task. I know I couldn't manage it, and
    don't think there are any people willing to take it on.

    Introducing it would provide a standard interface, however.

      Last update: 2006-02-19 02:12    [W:0.021 / U:0.668 seconds]