Daniel Barkalow wrote:

> I don't think it needs to be a class, but I think that there should be a
> single place with a directory for each device that could be what you want,
> with a file that tells you if it is. That's why I was looking at block/;
> these things must be block devices, and there aren't an huge number of
> block devices.
>
> I suppose "grep 1 /sys/block/*/device/dvdwriter" is just as good; I hadn't
> dug far enough in to realize that the reason I wasn't seeing anything
> informative in /sys/block/*/device/ was that I didn't have any devices
> with informative drivers, not that it was actually supposed to only have
> links to other things.

It would be nice to have one place to go to find burners, and to have
the model information in that place. I would logically think that place
is sysfs, and I know the kernel has the information because if I root
through /proc/bus/usb and /proc/scsi/scsi, and /proc/ide/hd?/model I can
eventually find out what the system has connected.

I not entirely sure about having classes other than cdrom, just because
we already have CD, DVD, DVD-DL, and are about to add blue-ray and
HD-DVD, so if I can tell that it's a removable device which can read
CDs, the applications have a fighting chance to looking at the device to
see what it is. As a human I would like the model information because
the kernel has done the work, why should people have to chase it when it
could be in one place?

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)