    SubjectRe: [opensuse-factory] Re[2]: 2.6.16 serious consequences / GPL_EXPORT_SYMBOL / USB drivers of major vendor excluded
    s.schmidt@avm.de wrote:

    > The user space does not ensure the reliability of time critical analog
    > services like Fax G3 or analog modem emulations. This quality of service
    > can only be guaranteed within the kernel space.
    > [...] To anticipate any "open vs. closed source" discussion: Only a
    > handful of companies worldwide have such know-how. With regard to our
    > competitive situation, we have to protect our hard-won intellectual
    > property and therefore cannot open the closed source part of the driver.

    Thanks for clarifying the situation.

    Since your intellectual property is in the DSP algorithms, are there
    any obstacles opensourcing the parts of the ISDN drivers which only
    handle normal ISDN without fax/modem emulation? This would make every
    distribution out there support your devices without any additional work
    on your side.
    You can still offer your full-featured drivers as usual.

    Regards,
    Carl-Daniel Hailfinger

      Last update: 2006-02-16 23:12    [W:0.023 / U:0.136 seconds]