    SubjectRe: Device enumeration (was Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest))
    On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:24:22PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
    > I'm torn between "nuts to alsa", pointing out that "ln -s /dev /dev/snd"
    > should shut it up nicely, and thinking up a way to actually do what it wants.
    >
    > If there's a real need for subdirectories, I'm sure we can come up with a way
    > to shunt stuff into them. (Of course a shellout could do it, but if it's
    > common enough we could build something into mdev...)
    >
    > The easy one's the symlink, assuming there are no name collisions flinging
    > everything into one directory...

    Let's see, on a recent kernel and recent udev I have as directories
    under /dev:

    - disk, a pure udev creation, so no conflict there
    - loop, devices names under that are numeric. mount has /dev/loop%d
    and /dev/loop/%d hardcoded
    - bus/usb, this one collides with itself if flattened
    - snd/sound, names except for seq and timer are pretty much line
    noise. "timer" is scary though.
    - net with tun and (I think) tap.
    - pktcdvd with "control", not sure what tool uses it
    - misc is ok (they're all ex-/dev/xx devices)
    - video1394, dv1394, i2c with '0' as device name
    - dri with card%d
    - cpu which self-collides too
    - input with a potentially dangerous event%d

    So, well, I think you're going to need directories for usb and cpu
    without doubt, and some of the rest is potentially risky, long-term
    wise.

    OG.

      Last update: 2006-02-15 17:58    [W:0.023 / U:0.360 seconds]