SubjectRe: Random reboots
From
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 05:20:37PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> There's one chip missing. If memory serves, this board has two hardware
> monitoring chips: one Winbond Super-I/O and one LM85-compatible SMBus
> chip. You are missing the i2c-amd756 driver in your kernel build
> (CONFIG_I2C_AMD756) which prevents you from accessing that second chip.
>
> Additionally, the Winbond Super-I/O chips are better supported by the
> newer w83627hf driver than by the w83781d you are using.
>
> So, you should change your kernel configuration to:
>
> CONFIG_I2C_AMD756=y
> #CONFIG_SENSORS_W83781D is not set
> CONFIG_SENSORS_W83627HF=y
>
> Then you'll probably have much better results - even if the
> configuration file might need additional tweaking.

Aha, thanks. I probably configured out the AMD756 when we switched to
this board from an actual AMD 7xx board, thinking it was no longer
appropriate. I'll make the change this weekend.

> > Still, I don't see why the new kernel shouldn't be stable if 2.6.11.3
> > was.
>
> If not software regression, the aging of your hardware might have caused
> it, as I mentioned earlier. But you are free to believe in the
> hypothesis you prefer, given that we are not currently able to
> demonstrate it anyway ;)

It could certainly be hardware, but it seems awfully unlikely that that
would occur exactly when I upgraded the kernel. A kernel bug just seems
the most parsimonious explanation, to me.

-ryan

  Last update: 2006-02-15 17:33    [W:0.097 / U:1.616 seconds]