    SubjectRe: Device enumeration (was Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest))
    Date
    On Tuesday 14 February 2006 6:47 pm, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:32:22PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
    > > Changes to the kernel have already managed to break us twice
    > > (switching /sys/class from real subdirectories to symlinks means we can't
    > > just ignore symlinks when recursing down through directories anymore,
    > > which is a problem because the existing symlinks form loops.
    >
    > I've shown a simple way to handle this, so this should not be a problem
    > anymore.

    Yup. We're ok with the current stuff, thanks.

    (I haven't updated the mdev code yet because I need to build a 2.6.16-pre
    kernel with the new layout to test against, but I've got a couple options
    worked out.)

    > > And deprecating /sbin/hotplug means we've got to bloat the code with
    > > netlink stuff.) But we'll cope, and the user interface isn't
    > > changing.
    >
    > Since when is /sbin/hotplug "depreciated"?

    http://lwn.net/Articles/166377/

    The hotplug helper /sbin/hotplug is now officially deprecated. The control
    file /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug has moved to /sys/kernel/uevent_helper, but it
    is expected to be disabled on most systems in favor of udev and the netlink
    interface.

    > It still works just fine, and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

    Good news for fans of small and simple, then. :)

    > Turns out that some distros just don't want to use it, and use netlink
    > instead. That should not stop you from using it if you wish, as the
    > kernel sure doesn't care one way or the other.

    Cool. For busybox, /sbin/hotplug is "the easy way".

    > thanks,
    >
    > greg k-h

    Rob