    SubjectRe: Flames over -- Re: Which is simpler?
    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Kyle Moffett wrote:

    > Which causes worse data-loss, writing out cached pages and filesystem
    > metadata to a filesystem that has changed in the mean-time (possibly
    > allocating those for metadata, etc) or forcibly unmounting it as
    > though the user pulled the cable? Most filesystems are designed to
    > handle the latter (it's the same as a hard-shutdown), whereas _none_
    > are designed to handle the former.

    That's a good point. Furthermore, any decent suspend script will flush
    all dirty buffers to disk before suspending anything.

    > A good set of suspend scripts should handle the hardware-suspend with
    > no extra work because hardware supporting hardware-suspend basically
    > inevitably supports USB low-power-mode,

    Unfortunately a lot of hardware doesn't support USB low-power mode. I
    guess you'd say therefore it doesn't really support hardware-suspend.
    This may be so, but it's small comfort to the owners of those systems.

    I have to admit, although technically Phillip's argument is wrong, from a
    useability standpoint it is right. Windows allows users to disconnect and
    reconnect USB storage devices while the system is hibernating, with no
    apparent ill effects -- although I've never tried to unplug one device and
    then plug in a different one on the same port while the computer was
    asleep. I don't know to what extent Windows checks descriptors/serial
    numbers/disk labels/whatever when it wakes up.

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2006-02-14 05:32    [W:0.020 / U:14.136 seconds]