    SubjectRe: any FS with tree-based quota system?
    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Neil Brown wrote:
    > On Monday February 13, wrote:
    >> I would like to be able to apply a quota to a particular tree, and have
    >> every file and directory in the path of that tree count toward that
    >> tree's quota usage. I can prevent hard links across trees.
    >> I noticed that Neil Brown wrote some patches fairly early on in the 2.4
    >> cycle to do tree-based quota by UID. The last patch-set I found was
    >> against 2.4.14
    >> ( from late
    >> 2001, and did not come with patches to quota-tools.
    > Following is my tree-quota patch updated to However it
    > doesn't do exactly what you claim to want.

    > You still need to assign a uid to each user (the kernel needs some
    > number to use as an index into the quotas file). But only the top-level
    > directory of each tree needs to be owned by the uid. Files beneath the
    > top can be owned by anyone.

    I'm hoping to modify your patch to use the inode at the root of the tree
    instead of a particular uid as the quota owner, so that setting a quota of
    50Mb on /some/location would charge usage for any children of
    /some/location to the inode of /some/location.

    > I can dig-up a patch for quota-utils if you want to proceed with this.

    I would appreciate that.

      Last update: 2006-02-14 00:18    [W:0.021 / U:10.372 seconds]