    On Monday 13 February 2006 05:40, Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > jerome lacoste <jerome.lacoste@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Name a single program (not using libscg) that implements user space
    > > > SCSI and runs on as many platforms as cdrecord/libscg does.
    > >
    > > I have 2 technical questions, and I hope that you will take the time
    > > to answer them.
    > >
    > > 1) extract from the README of the latest stable cdrtools package:
    > >
    > > Linux driver design oddities
    > > ****************************************** Although cdrecord supports to
    > > use dev=/dev/sgc, it is not recommended and it is unsupported.
    > >
    > > The /dev/sg* device mapping in Linux is not stable! Using
    > > dev=/dev/sgc in a shell script may fail after a reboot because the device
    > > you want to talk to has moved to /dev/sgd. For the proper and OS
    > >
    > > My understanding of that is you say to not use dev=/dev/sgc because it
    > > isn't stable. Now that you've said that bus,tgt,lun is not stable on
    > > Linux (because of a "Linux bug") why is the b,t,l scheme preferred
    > > over the /dev/sg* one ?
    >
    > b,t,l _is_ stable as long as the OS does a reasonable and orthogonal work.
    >
    > This was true until ~ 2001, when Linux introduced unstable USB handling.
    > Note that this fact is not a failure from libscg but from Linux.

    Isn't that also when the USB system underwent a massive rewrite to fully
    support hotplugging and to fix a lot of bugs that were present in the
    original implementation?

    Still, the question I posed in my earlier post remains - why can't you have
    your program do the BTL mappings behind the scenes? You can easily allow it
    from the command line and also allow pointing to a /dev entry... If you want
    I'll actually put together a patch based on whatever version of cdrecord I
    have here on my system and send it to you.

    DRH

      Last update: 2006-02-13 23:50    [W:0.027 / U:1.348 seconds]