    Subjectany FS with tree-based quota system?
    I'm looking for a file system with a tree-based quota system.  XFS on IRIX
    has projects, but that functionality didn't get ported over to Linux that
    I can see.

    I'm building a closed-box system to serve web pages. I expect to have 20k
    to 30k different user trees. User's will not have direct access to the
    box and will not be assigned a uid/gid. Every tree will be owned by the
    same uid/gid.

    I would like to be able to apply a quota to a particular tree, and have
    every file and directory in the path of that tree count toward that tree's
    quota usage. I can prevent hard links across trees.

    I noticed that Neil Brown wrote some patches fairly early on in the 2.4
    cycle to do tree-based quota by UID. The last patch-set I found was
    against 2.4.14 (http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux/2.4.14/)
    from late 2001, and did not come with patches to quota-tools.

    How much change has the quota system undergone between 2.4.14 and 2.4.32?
    Between 2.4 and 2.6? What can I read to get a decent understanding of FS
    basics and how the quota system interacts? Any pointers at all would be
    appreciated. (I'm equally open to "that's the stupidest idea I've ever
    heard" as well, or pointers to reasons why it wouldn't be workable.)

    Thanks.

    -Chris

      Last update: 2006-02-13 20:06    [W:0.027 / U:5.812 seconds]