Subjectany FS with tree-based quota system?
I'm looking for a file system with a tree-based quota system.  XFS on IRIX
has projects, but that functionality didn't get ported over to Linux that
I can see.

I'm building a closed-box system to serve web pages. I expect to have 20k
to 30k different user trees. User's will not have direct access to the
box and will not be assigned a uid/gid. Every tree will be owned by the
same uid/gid.

I would like to be able to apply a quota to a particular tree, and have
every file and directory in the path of that tree count toward that tree's
quota usage. I can prevent hard links across trees.

I noticed that Neil Brown wrote some patches fairly early on in the 2.4
cycle to do tree-based quota by UID. The last patch-set I found was
against 2.4.14 (http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/linux/2.4.14/)
from late 2001, and did not come with patches to quota-tools.

How much change has the quota system undergone between 2.4.14 and 2.4.32?
Between 2.4 and 2.6? What can I read to get a decent understanding of FS
basics and how the quota system interacts? Any pointers at all would be
appreciated. (I'm equally open to "that's the stupidest idea I've ever
heard" as well, or pointers to reasons why it wouldn't be workable.)

Thanks.

-Chris

  Last update: 2006-02-13 20:06    [W:0.270 / U:0.040 seconds]