    On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 05:49:11PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:24:12PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

    > > > In order not to depend on a userland package for the kernel service of
    > > > device enumeration? It's udevinfo now, what will it be in two years?
    > >
    > > WTF? You are depending on that same program to create your device
    > > nodes. If you don't want to use that program to do it, then use
    > > something else, or use a static device tree, which works like always.
    > Funnily enough, my, say, mp3 usb key sync system would like to run as
    > non-root and does not want to know or care about what program creates
    > the device nodes. Too bad this otherwise beautiful and useful sysfs
    > is crippled by design.

    Huh? What sysfs design flaw is that?

    You can run your mp3 usb ksy sync system as non-root just fine, I do
    just that. When my device is plugged in, a udev rule runs a script that
    changes users and resyncs my device.

    But that has nothing to do with sysfs at all.

    > > sysfs exports everything that userspace needs to know, if it wants to
    > > create a device node to talk to that specific device. udev used it to
    > > create your /dev tree, while other programs use it to create temporary
    > > device nodes to do other things to your devices. Either way, the kernel
    > > doesn't know, or care what you call those device nodes.
    > You mean root is mandatory to talk with devices, whatever they are?

    Not at all. You only have to be root to create a device node, nothing
    new there.

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2006-02-13 18:53    [W:0.021 / U:126.972 seconds]