On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:24:12PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:14:06PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > >
> > > No. Why would it when it is very simple to query udevinfo for that?
> >
> > In order not to depend on a userland package for the kernel service of
> > device enumeration? It's udevinfo now, what will it be in two years?
>
> WTF? You are depending on that same program to create your device
> nodes. If you don't want to use that program to do it, then use
> something else, or use a static device tree, which works like always.

Funnily enough, my, say, mp3 usb key sync system would like to run as
non-root and does not want to know or care about what program creates
the device nodes. Too bad this otherwise beautiful and useful sysfs
is crippled by design.

> sysfs exports everything that userspace needs to know, if it wants to
> create a device node to talk to that specific device. udev used it to
> create your /dev tree, while other programs use it to create temporary
> device nodes to do other things to your devices. Either way, the kernel
> doesn't know, or care what you call those device nodes.

You mean root is mandatory to talk with devices, whatever they are?

OG.

  Last update: 2006-02-13 17:51    [W:2.239 / U:0.756 seconds]