    SubjectRe: CD-blanking leads to machine freeze with current -git
    * Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> [2006-02-11 10:35:19 -0500]:

    > Marc Koschewski <marc@osknowledge.org> writes:
    >
    > > The cdrecord man page says this:
    > >
    > > Setting the -immed flag will request the command to return
    > > immediately while the operation proceeds in background, making
    > > the bus usable for the other devices and avoiding the system
    > > freeze. This is an experimental feature which may work or
    > > not, depending on the model of the CD/DVD writer. A correct
    > > solution would be to set up a correct cabling but there seem
    > > to be notebooks around that have been set up the wrong way by
    > > the manufacturer. As it is impossible to fix this problem in
    > > notebooks, the -immed option has been added.
    >
    > > It how can the bus run the command sent on the device 'in the
    > >background' when it can only process _one_ request at a time?
    > >
    > > To me it sound like the foreground process (cdrecord) fork()s a
    > >process to blank the CD-RW. Clear. But you said the bus is not able
    > >to do so... I'm not getting this.
    >
    > Some CD writers are apparently able to release the bus while
    > blanking, allowing use of the bus by other devices. The 'immed' flag
    > tries to use this feature. fork() has nothing to do with it--he's
    > talking about the IDE command, not the cdrecord program.

    I just thought about fork() as Alan (surely and others) told the IDE bus cannot
    run several commands at a time. So fork() was the only left-over I could think
    of. I didn't know some devices can kinda 'detach' themselves as long as the
    blank is going on...

    Things are clear now. OK, more clear. Not clear. ;)

    Marc

      Last update: 2006-02-11 16:47    [W:0.021 / U:35.084 seconds]