SubjectRe: msync() behaviour broken for MS_ASYNC, revert patch?
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it would make sense to run balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited() inside
> > msync_pte_range(). So pdflush will get poked if we hit
> > background_dirty_ratio threshold, or we go into caller-initiated writeout
> > if we hit dirty_ratio.
> >
> > But it's not completely trivial, because I don't think we want to be doing
> > blocking writeback with mmap_sem held.
>
> Why not just do it once, at the end?

We could, sort-of.

balance_dirty_pages() is quite CPU-intensive (hence the presence of
balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited()).

balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited() expects to be called once per
page-dirtying.

- We can't use balance_dirty_pages() because workloads which do lots of
teeny msyncs would chew lots of CPU.

- We can't use balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited() because it thinks only a
single page was dirtied.

So the thing to do is to change msync to keep track of how many pages were
dirtied, then at the end call

balance_dirty_pages_ratelimited_new_improved_api(mapping, nr_pages_dirtied).

Except an msync can cover multiple mappings, so we'd need to pop the lock
in the top-level loop, run the above for each VMA. Not rocket-science, I
guess.

  Last update: 2006-02-10 22:32    [W:0.110 / U:0.172 seconds]