    SubjectRe: 2.6.15-rt16
    On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 16:36 -0600, Clark Williams wrote:
    > On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 17:16 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    > >
    > > No, but I don't use an initrd, so my failure was first that it couldn't
    > > recognize my harddrives. So I compiled in the necessary drivers into my
    > > kernel, and it booted right up to the GDM login. I logged in, and was
    > > going to reply to you, but I guess I have a different network card since
    > > I had no network.
    > >

    > Ok, I took the config file I sent you, globally substituted '=y' for
    > '=m' and rebuilt, then booted that kernel. Other than a message that it
    > was unable to open the console (udev wasn't started) I got the exact
    > same failure (same panic backtrace).

    Thanks for the clarification.

    > > > I'm fairly certain that the initrd contains the appropriate modules,
    > > > since I regenerate the initrd each time I generate a new kernel, but
    > > > I'll go back and verify.
    > > >
    > > > I'll also convert modules to compiled in and see if that makes a
    > > > difference.
    > >
    > > Thanks, I've been burnt before with incompatible modules in initrd, that
    > > I now only use compiled in modules that are needed to boot (ide, ext3,
    > > etc). When compiling 3 different kernels with several different configs
    > > constantly for the same machine, it just becomes easier to not use an
    > > initrd.
    >
    > One of the things I wanted to see was how the -rt patch worked with
    > SELinux, so I decided to try and run a kernel that looked like a distro
    > kernel (in this case FC4). I just put together some scripting logic to
    > build the kernel and module tree three times (athlon64, p3smp, and
    > duron). After I've rebuilt, I install on each target system using a
    > shell script that deletes the old module tree, rsyncs a new one,
    > installs the matching kernel and builds a new initrd.
    >
    > Hmmm, FC4 is based on 2.6.14.x. Did something change in the 2.6.15
    > series that needs a user-space change as well? (I'm running a current
    > FC4 rootfs).

    But, didn't you say that if you turn off LATENCY_TRACING that the -rt
    patched kernel boots?

    So, now it seems to be something hardware specific that is different
    between your machine and mine.

    Note: I'm using Debian.

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2006-02-02 02:12    [W:0.022 / U:29.896 seconds]