On Feb 01, 2006, at 11:28, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> Moreover providing ordering by IDE driver has been nightmare to
>> maintain and can't be done correctly for 100% weird cases.
>
> So how much weird cases do we have?

Speaking from personal experience, _waay_ too many. On my old G4
which now serves as a fileserver, I have 5 IDE busses out of 3
controllers (Onboard ATA-66 with 2 busses, onboard ATA-33 with one
bus, add-in PCI ATA-100 with 2 busses) There's a _config_ option to
control probe order specific to the two Apple onboard interfaces, and
it used to be (before udev) that option was a nightmare to ensure
that my new kernel has the same probe order as the old one. Once you
throw PCI hotplug into the mix, reliable probing order is impossible,
and you should just use udev to dynamically assign names.

>>> (surprisingly) the other way round, sda just happens to be the
>>> first disk
>>> inserted (SCA, USB, etc.)
>>
>> Which is much saner approach from developers' POV.
>
> Developer... and about the user/admin? With a sparcbox (ran suse
> linux 7.3 the last time it was powered on - 2.4 kernel, no udev -
> don't complain :), replugging disks in put them at the end of the
> 'sd*' naming chain, effectively killing the features of hotplug the
> machine itself offered. (Oh, that OS starting with S.. managed it
> with the help of the behated/-loved c?d?t?s? scheme, but that's OT.)

Yeah, 2.4 was bad at hotplug, everybody knows that already. This is
why the changes were made for 2.6 to add udev and hal and make it
much saner.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I lost interest in "blade servers" when I found they didn't throw
knives at people who weren't supposed to be in your machine room.