    SubjectRe: [RFC] VM: I have a dream...
    On Wednesday 01 February 2006 04:06, Barry K. Nathan wrote:
    > Also, the only way I see where "there is no more swapping" and
    > "[y]ou're dealing with memory only" is if the disk *becomes* main
    > memory, and main memory becomes an L3 (or L4) cache for the CPU [and
    > as a consequence, main memory also becomes the main form of long-term
    > storage]. Is that what you're proposing?

    In the not-too-distant future, there is likely to be a ram/disk price
    inversion; ram becomes cheaper/mb than disk. At that point, we'll be buying
    hardware based on "how much disk can I afford to provide power-off backup of
    my ram?" rather than "how much ram can I afford?"

    At that point, things will change.

    Maybe, then, everything _will_ be in ram (with the kernel will intelligently
    write out pages to the disk in the background, incase of power failure and
    ready for a shutdown). Disk reads only ever occur during a power-on
    population of ram.

    Blue skys....

    Andrew Walrond

      Last update: 2006-02-01 10:54    [W:0.019 / U:1.272 seconds]