SubjectRe: VCD not readable under 2.6.18
Well yeah, same here. In your case HAL/ KDE was trying to access the VCD. In my case, I was trying to access the VCD by mounting it.

Had the error been one on Fedora/ openSUSE or distros like that, I would have blamed it on the desktop side. But in Slackware, I wasn't running KDE, and it doesn't even have GNOME or HAL -- so how then can it be one of those? I was trying to do a simple mount of the VCD (as I've always done over these years, to copy the .dat movie files across) -- and that itself failed!

----- Original Message ----
From: S.Çağlar Onur <>
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <>
Cc: Ismail Donmez <>; Alan <>;
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2006 3:19:14 AM
Subject: Re: VCD not readable under 2.6.18
But i cannot reproduce the problem that way, in my case dmesg flooded as soon
as somebody trying to _access_ to VCD. I disabled hal and closed KDE to test
and that problem no longer reproducible for me. So its really seems a
userspace problem and i think all of them (KDE's cdpolling backend, hal,
mplayer and xine-lib) has problems with kernels >= 2.6.17

S.Çağlar Onur <>

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!

Do You Yahoo!?