    SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.20

    On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > > IMO it least at needs one more iteration to address the comments that
    > > were made (not just mine), in the short term the less it touches
    > > unconditionally the less I care right now.
    > I don't have a clue which review comments remain unaddressed - do you recall?

    Outside clockevents I'd like to see at least the flag handling fixed
    before it gets merged.
    Inside clockevents I could poke around forever...

    > > In the long term IMO this might need a major rework, the basic problem I
    > > have is that I don't see how this usable beyond dynticks/hrtimer, e.g. how
    > > to dynamically manage multiple timer.
    > I'm not sure I understand that. Are you referring to multiple,
    > concurrently-operating hardware clock sources? <wonders how that could
    > work> If so, that's more a clocksource thing than a dynticks/hrtimer thing,
    > isn't it?

    A rather simple example would be profiling, where a separate timer is
    useful to see stuff that runs from the main timer, which is currently
    It's insofar a clocksource thing as clock source and clock events should
    form a union, currently it's separate and that's a big problem. It's not
    really problem to have multiple clock sources and they don't really have
    to be synchronized with each other, but events _are_ connected to the
    source they are coming from.
    In the end we could even expose multiple clocks via the posix clock/timer
    interface, but with the current design I don't see how this is possible.

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2006-12-06 13:37    [W:0.022 / U:0.816 seconds]