SubjectRe: [patch] add ignore_loglevel boot option

* Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@oracle.com> wrote:

> > sometimes the kernel prints something interesting while userspace
> > bootup keeps messages turned off via loglevel. Enable the printing
> > of /all/ kernel messages via the "ignore_loglevel" boot option. Off
> > by default.
>
> Hi,
>
> Is this equivalent to using the "debug" kernel parameter except that
> userspace (init scripts) cannot muck it up (modify the setting)?

yeah.

> I've seen init scripts modify the loglevel, much to my dismay.

yeah - i once lost a few hours of debugging to such an incident.

> I'd say that this is useful, but it's really userspace that needs to
> be fixed.

well, loglevel /can/ be managed by userspace, and sometimes an important
kernel message might have a too high loglevel. Also, sometimes the
kernel does spurious messages during hardware detect, etc., so userspace
naturally wants to prevent them from going to the console. So it's
really a mix of a problem and i wouldnt put the blame on user-space.
User-space used the only control they have to fix the situation.

Ingo

  Last update: 2006-12-06 10:03    [W:0.032 / U:0.144 seconds]